Author Topic: Why Avoid a Breeder that Breeds Minks? (or sepia or solid or blue-eyed white)  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollsUnited.com
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
I just want a pet cat.  Why does it matter that the breeder breeds non-standard cats and sells them as Ragdolls? (minks, sepia, solid, BEW)

It matters, whether or not you're happy with a non-purebred, and here is why.

Someone who knows what they are doing will know about genetic issues with the breed, potential illnesses, etc. They will also know how to avoid these things. They will be breeding for the purpose of strengthening the breed, not just for money or for curiosity or for whatever random reason, and they'll likely have a source of additional knowledge (mentors and such).

I don't buy into "she's a vet and therefore there will be no problems" --frankly, most of the vets I know have no clue about purebred cats. I've been to quite a few different area vets and usually they look quizzically at my Ragdoll and say something like, "Are you sure it's a Ragdoll? I heard that Ragdolls look just like long haired Siamese." Or some other such silly thing.  Maybe a vet has some arrogance that of course they know cats so why shouldn't they breed them?  But to do so without knowing the breed, without knowing how to BETTER THE BREED (which is the goal of breeding) is foolish at best.

Just because the cat you're considering appears to be pointed (or doesn't appear to be mink) doesn't mean the breeder isn't a backyard breeder. And just because the person is a vet also doesn't mean she isn't a backyard breeder.

And even if by some chance he/she isn't a backyard breeder, the fact that he/she doesn't know what their doing --breeding minks and falsely selling them as Ragdolls--he/she clearly isn't working to better the breed, and doesn't have anyone advising them that what they're is doing is wrong. It's lying. It's fraud to sell something as one thing when it isn't that thing. Getting lucky and maybe getting something that is what it's supposed to be doesn't make the fraud side any less. It just means getting lucky...and maybe you won't get lucky.

Why do disreputable breeders and backyard breeders breed non-standard Ragdolls so often?  Because buying a cat with breeding rights from a reputable breeder is 1. more expensive than buying a pet, and 2. a reputable breeder will require a prospective new breeder to have a mentor, attend cat shows, and the like, and spend time and money becoming knowledgeable about the breed.  A backyard breeder is likely more interested in a quick buck and would prefer the easier/cheaper route: find a Ragdoll-like cat and start producing.  Even better if they can make claims of "rare" because they can hike up the prices.

By the way, it's backyard breeders that more often will sell cats without requiring them to be speutered.  That should tell you something right there, that these people are not concerned about the future of their cats' genetic lines.  All reputable breeders will require either early speutering before sending them home, or for you to have them spay/neutered by 6-months of age.

With all that I've experienced and read on  forums, I'd rather take a chance with a random bred cat that "looks like or acts like" a ragdoll than a cat from a backyard breeder, as random genes seem to be sturdier than genes from someone who doesn't know what they're doing with the breed, or maybe it's just that your chances are slightly better. You can do the research by reading through "ragdoll health" and "ragdoll loss." It's tough, but eye-opening.

And here's the money thing: if you end up with a sick cat, it will cost you much, much more than losing a deposit. It will be exponentially more dollar wise, and the emotional cost, while you are trying to study, will be more than you can ever recoup in study time.

It's fraud to advertise something that it is not. Saying minks are Ragdolls. They are not. Minks and blue eyed whites are not rare, they are either not Ragdolls, or they are potentially deaf (or both) in the case of BEW.  Someone purposefully breeding potentially deaf cats is not a good breeder.  The Truth About Minks: http://ragdollcatsunited.com/smf/index.php?topic=50.0

Of course once you have a kitten, it's yours, there is no turning back. So making a wise decision up front is, well, wise. Repeating an unwise decision just because you lucked out once? Not so sure that's very wise, but of course that's just my opinion.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:22:38 pm by Desi »
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.

The following users thanked this post: HelenMac, Codysmom, Mum of FLUFF

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollsUnited.com
Is my 11 week old kitten a Ragdoll? She is a backyard kitty, no breeder or papers. She resembles the Ragdoll breed so Iím guessing she is a mix. Can you see characteristics in her that say yes or no?

You can't tell a Ragdoll by looking at the cat, because Ragdolls are cats that were bred to be Ragdolls. You can't see breeding just by looking. And it is incredibly unlikely that a purebred kitten will be roaming through your backyard.

She certainly is a beautiful moggie. Love her and treasure her, and in the future certainly you'll want to seek out a purebred, but for now just enjoy her.

Itís ok if she isnít a Ragdoll. She is the sweetest kitten ever. Ragdoll kittens are $1,500 in my area and I know a breeder wouldnít let their cats run wild, but she resembles the breed so I thought I would put it out there. :)

The point of getting a purebred pet is to get as close to the pet you envision having as possible, whether that be looks or personality, as well as getting a healthy pet. If you can get there and rescue a life from the streets, all the better.

On a side note, if the kittens you're seeing are over $1500, it's most likely you're looking at backyard breeders. You're more likely to get a healthy kitten from the streets than you are from a backyard breeder. Backyard breeders tend to inflate their prices (and do such things as sell "rare" cats marketed as Ragdolls that aren't actually Ragdolls) because their business is to make money. A legitimate, reputable breeder does so for the purpose of bettering the breed and is more interested in finding loving homes for their pet quality cats than making a quick buck. Breeding is an expensive hobby and is not a money maker--unless making money is your only objective, and then you'd have to cut corners pretty much everywhere to meet that objective.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.

Ragdoll Cats United!

Your Ad Here

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollsUnited.com
>>bbbbbuttt...Ann Baker bred solid cats, so clearly solid cats are ragdolls!

The solid non-ragdolls kittens in the litter that included the first Ragdolls (pointed), were put in Ann's "Persian" breeding program and lost to history. The solid cats that are behind minks and solids in the Ragamuffin breed were totally unrelated to these cats and were later outcrosses, after the cat fancy Ragdolls (our Ragdolls of today) had left Ann and her associated breeders. There is no relationship between the solid and mink genetics of "Ragdolls" or Ragamuffins today that is traceable to Ann's cats of the 1960s. Solids and minks were specifically rejected by Ann at the origin of the breed and have never been accepted in the cat fancy Ragdolls.

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollsUnited.com
Why your mink colored cat is not automatically a Ragamuffin, with quotes from Curt Gehm, Ragamuffin founder.

http://ragdollcatsunited.com/smf/index.php?topic=416