Author Topic: Hello, new here and not sure if my Prince is a Ragdoll or not, need help  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Adrian71

• Hi, I'm new here!
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Hello, my name is Adrian and I am owned by three cats, Negra, European short hair, my home black Panther, Julie, gray Persian, the old lady of the house and adopted mother to my 12 year old son, and Prince, year and a half old possible Ragdoll, I rescued from a shelter in Bulgaria.
First off, all my cats are rescued. Julie, who we figure is about 15 years old, was rescued 4 years ago from our local shelter.  And Negra I got from the same shelter when she was a wee kitten.
Prince, the suspected Ragdoll, was found as a kitten on the street. No one knows who his mother is. A friend who works from the shelter from here in Germany showed me his picture, and I knew i had to have him.
We is a bit over a year and a half now. And weighs well over 13 kilos. He is docile, loves attention and belly rubs. Follows he walking at my side around the house looking up at me, almost like a dog. He is playfull, but because he doesnt understand he is so big, when he pounces on Negra, my black panther, she screaches at him, and swats him, and he just sits back and doesn't understand violence.
His coloration is chocolate paws, all four, ears, face and tail. He was lighter coloured, bug his haunch has gotten darker.
His fur is almost like rabbit fur. He sheds very little and when he does its easy to pick up.
Someone recently said he is a Balinese, And when I googled Balinese, cause I didnt have a clue, I have to say, I thought I was looking at Prince, but a smaller version.
So, can someone clue me in, is my big beautiful dummy a Ragy, a Balinese, a mutant?
But regardless, what he is, is my buddy.
  • 3 cats, Prince, Negra and Julie

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
Re: Hello, new here and not sure if my Prince is a Ragdoll or not, need help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:04:20 pm »
Prince, the suspected Ragdoll, was found as a kitten on the street. No one knows who his mother is. A friend who works from the shelter from here in Germany showed me his picture, and I knew i had to have him.

So, can someone clue me in, is my big beautiful dummy a Ragy, a Balinese, a mutant?
But regardless, what he is, is my buddy.

Hi, welcome to the forum.  The short answer is no, your cat is not a Ragdoll, or any other pedigree.  Your cat is a moggie, or mixed breed cat.  The short explanation is that there are lots of cats that look like Ragdolls, lots of cats that act like Ragdolls, and even plenty of cats that both look and act like Ragdolls, but they're not Ragdolls.  But that is okay!  You were lucky to get a cat that looks/acts like a Ragdoll and you saved a life from the streets, and that's awesome.

Enjoy your kitty, usually people get their first "ragdoll-like" kitty by accident and for their second they search out a true Ragdoll cat just to make sure they get that same personality.

Check here for the long and more detailed explanation: http://ragdollcatsunited.com/smf/index.php?topic=121.0
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

The following users thanked this post: Adrian71

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:04:20 pm »

Offline Adrian71

• Hi, I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:06:48 am »
Hi, welcome to the forum.  The short answer is no, your cat is not a Ragdoll, or any other pedigree.  Your cat is a moggie, or mixed breed cat.  The short explanation is that there are lots of cats that look like Ragdolls, lots of cats that act like Ragdolls, and even plenty of cats that both look and act like Ragdolls, but they're not Ragdolls.  But that is okay!  You were lucky to get a cat that looks/acts like a Ragdoll and you saved a life from the streets, and that's awesome.

Enjoy your kitty, usually people get their first "ragdoll-like" kitty by accident and for their second they search out a true Ragdoll cat just to make sure they get that same personality.

Check here for the long and more detailed explanation: http://ragdollcatsunited.com/smf/index.php?topic=121.0

Hi, thank you for your reply. Mind if I ask, how do you know?

Cheers
  • 3 cats, Prince, Negra and Julie

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:36:52 am »
Hi Adrian

Prince is gorgeous!!! Those eyes!!! Those ears!!! and 13 kgs??? Crikey!!! My Jack Russell dog was 9kgs so I know you have one heck of a big cat there!!! Sounds like your kitty is indeed a mixed breed - but that means you won the jackpot!!! No-one else has a cat quite like yours and I'm just a tad envious of your 13kg love-bug...

PS: Desi knows stuff - lots of stuff!!! If you take the time to read the posts you can learn a lot about mixed breeds and ragdolls.

PPS: LOVED the photos!!!
  • FLUFFY (male lilac point ragdoll)

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 04:17:05 pm »

Hi, thank you for your reply. Mind if I ask, how do you know?

Cheers

Because a Ragdoll is a cat born from a particular lineage.  Your cat does not have that lineage.  Please go to the section entitled "Frequently Asked Questions about the Ragdoll Cat" and there is tons more information there for you to read. 

Your question is probably the #1 asked question, and it's been answered a lot, so it's better to put that answer in just one place instead of typing it out a lot of times.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy & Mittens!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your cats are beautiful and I'm glad you joined us, please stay and share more photos of your fur family. If it's helpful to you many of us use Flickr to post photos, here is a link that you may find helpful. :)
http://ragdollcatsunited.com/smf/index.php?topic=486.0
  • 2 Raggies, 1 moggie (Ragdoll wannabee) and a mini doxie!

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »

Tags: