Author Topic: Goodbye my beloved Fozzy!  (Read 591 times)

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy & Mittens!
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Goodbye my beloved Fozzy!
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:36:10 am »
I think many of you already have heard the news that I lost my beloved Fosco (Fozzy) to FIP on Tuesday. It has been such a drain on me emotionally these past few months not knowing what was actually wrong with him to start off with. When the vet did the blood work and the results for the virus testing came in it showed him being positive for the Corona virus which concerned us but knowing that most cats have it, it wasn't a 100% diagnosis of actually being FIP.

After a few weeks though he continued to deteriorate and we honestly did all we could to treat him and help him in any way, hoping against all hope that whatever he had he would pull through. Sadly after about a two month battle he passed away on Tuesday around midday over here. For my own peace of mind I asked the vet to do an autopsy and he confirmed that he did indeed have the wet form of FIP.

My husband fetched him and we buried him in our garden.

To say I'm heartbroken and devastated at his passing is an understatement! He has left such a hole in my heart and a gap in the household. Katy will miss him I know that, so I'm giving her extra lovings because they were always close.

Just wanted to share a tribute I made for my baby, I know you will understand and feel for your own babies as I feel for mine. xoxo

• 2 Raggies, 1 moggie (Ragdoll wannabee) and a mini doxie!

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
Re: Goodbye my beloved Fozzy!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:53 pm »
Such a beautiful tribute to your sweet boy. Sending love from the Hooligans and I as we know your pain.  Give Katie all the love you can, she will grieve as Blaise did. I said before I have no words just know I am here if needed.
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:53 pm »

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 01:35:49 am »
I'm so sorry Colleen.  I had no idea that you guys were going through that.  Fozzy was such a lovely guy, I'm sure he will be missed by everyone.  I know I miss him from afar.  :(
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:55:08 pm »
Thank you Rebecca, it's such a horrible disease to witness and you going through it twice must have been heart wrenching. What precautions did you take to help prevent the Hooligans from possible contamination with the virus? I've been trying to disinfect as best I can but would appreciate your input. xo

Thank you Dawn, it has just been such a physically and emotionally draining time for me I just didn't have the strength to talk about it much. Even now, I feel absolutely drained from it all. Appreciate you all so much as I know my friends understand what it means to lose a beloved fur baby, and such a young boy too! :(

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 09:22:25 pm »
Thank you Rebecca, it's such a horrible disease to witness and you going through it twice must have been heart wrenching. What precautions did you take to help prevent the Hooligans from possible contamination with the virus? I've been trying to disinfect as best I can but would appreciate your input. xo

Thank you Dawn, it has just been such a physically and emotionally draining time for me I just didn't have the strength to talk about it much. Even now, I feel absolutely drained from it all. Appreciate you all so much as I know my friends understand what it means to lose a beloved fur baby, and such a young boy too! :(

Honestly my vet said to wash and vacuum but he said the rest more than likely all ready have the FCoV virus.  I think my Katie might have been a carrier but never mutated. I feel now that Freyr is a carrier.  You can have the vet do Titer count to see if they are still carrying the FCoV virus. Dr Addie's site is full of information. However she seems to be a big believer in inside/ outside cats.  She may not be wrong in her thinking in regards to the virus:

In natural circumstances, cats go outside to defaecate and bury their faeces, in which case the virus lasts hours to days (it survives slightly longer in freezing conditions). However, in domesticating the cat we have introduced litter trays: FCoV may survive for several days and possibly up to 7 weeks in dried up faeces in cat litter.

The litter box is your main culprit
From Dr Addies's website:

If your cat uses a litter tray, then make sure it is declumped as often as possible and use dedicated poop scoops for each cat pen or tray. Better still, if possible, let the cat out to go to the toilet naturally outside (I am aware that this is not always possible or desirable where there is a lot of traffic). If you have several cats, make sure that you have enough litter trays, preferably one for each cat, and get covered or even self-cleaning litter trays. Site the litter tray away from food areas so that microscopic faecal particles cannot be blown onto the cat's food. Use a Fuller's Earth based non-tracking cat litter, to minimise spread of microscopic particles around the house. Once or twice a week, clean your litter tray with domestic bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Do stick to bleach disinfectants, as pine based ones are toxic to cats. Vacuum as often as possible to reduce the number of contaminated cat litter particles.

http://www.catvirus.com/PreventionS1.htm#CatLitter

I can tell you I panicked everytime they sneezed or wouldn't eat.  I have let my guard down, really should put it back up and make sure those litter boxes are done (disinfected) more often.  I also feel that since our experience with the litter robot is not what others have had - I need to add back more litter boxes.
I would clean the litter boxes thoroughly weekly, however you know that can become very costly. I had up to 7 litter boxes at one time. Currently once every other month they are being bleached, that is not really enough even though they are scooped daily.
I also will not introduce another cat into the house, as much as I would love a Tortie.

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 11:14:48 am »
Thanks so much Rebecca, Siobain also sent me info from Dr. Addie I just haven't had the time to read much as I've spent the whole week disinfecting and cleaning. I have bleached all the litter boxes and of course put new litter in. Yesterday I used some F10 foggers to rid the air of any viruses. It smells like a veterinary hospital at the moment. I'm giving the kitties Lysine and Nutristim (when I can get them to eat it) just to try and build up their immune systems as best as I can as well as keeping them as calm and stress free as possible right now.

I want to take them for a checkup sometime but want to get them back to a new norm in the house and then before I take them to the vet I've got some Calmeze to give each of them to keep stress levels at a minimum. I know Dr. Addie says that stress could trigger off something, so I'm not in a rush to see the vet until I feel they are all more at ease.

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:16:03 pm »
Yes - stress free is best and right now they are all grieving the same as you. Lots of love and extra treats. I know there are treats with Lysine as well.

adding these links for you as well

https://consciouscat.net/2013/12/01/conscious-cat-sunday-finding-holiday-joy-youre-grieving/

https://consciouscat.net/2019/11/20/ask-the-cat-behaviorist-with-dr-marci-koski-a-cat-who-wont-play-a-cat-who-is-grieving-and-more/

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:57:32 pm »
Thank you so much Becky, I appreciate your input, knowing you've gone through all this before. It truly is a HORRIBLE disease!

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:17:35 am »
I'm so sorry this has happened to you...
there really are no adequate words for such a terrible loss...
my heart hurts for you xxx
  • FLUFFY (male lilac point ragdoll)

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:17:35 am »

Tags: