Author Topic: Is there an end?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Ragsmomma

Is there an end?
« on: October 05, 2019, 04:02:18 pm »
Most of you know that 2 months ago, Jamie got a hematoma in his left ear.  We're still fooling with it.  He had to go 2 weeks waiting for the surgery so that all the blood tests could be done.  Then he waited 2 weeks for the stitches to come out.  Since then, we've been going back and forth and last week the vet decided the ear was infected.  He gave him a shot of steroids and tressaderm ear drops, which I believe also has a steroid in it.  He's doing well with that and the outer portion of the ear that he had been scratching is healing up.  All in all, he seems to be doing better but this has been going on for what seems like forever.  He has decided that his carrier is a wonderful place to be so he's in there a lot of the time.  Prior to that he was sleeping in his litter box.  I'd just like life to go back to normal for both of us.  We should have our own parking spot with a plaque on it at the vets office.  My vet, bless his heart, has been charging for meds but not for visits.  What a help that has been.  Hopefully the visit we have scheduled is our last one for awhile.  Now I'm trying to do light massage on his ear so that hopefully it will look a bit more normal. 

Sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline HelenMac

Re: Is there an end?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »
 So sorry this is still ongoing.  I agree time for this to all go away so you can just enjoy each others company.  Praying for Jamie's ear to completely heal.  hugs to you both
  • Shadow and Zimba

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:18:38 pm »
Poor Jamie, it's hard on the them and us when the trouble go on and on and on
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:01:49 pm »
Awww, poor Jamie.  But what a good mommy he has, taking care of him so diligently and making sure he gets his meds and massages :)  Hope his progress speeds up for both of you.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
Well, we went back to the vet (again) yesterday.  Jamie's ear is still infected so we have switched from the tresaderm over to baytril.  I have to call my vet tomorrow and let him know how the ear looks.  All I want is for my sweetie's ear to get better.  He repeatedly sleeps in his litterbox, which he does when he doesn't feel good.  I told the girl at the front desk I wouldn't know when to make the next appointment.  It will depend on the progress.  I had to chuckle when she said "Don't worry.  We'll get you in.  You've been here so frequently".  Yup, if they gave frequent flier miles, Jamie could fly to see all of you.  Jamie thinks we should have our own parking place with his name on it on a big plaque.

Sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 02:30:17 pm »
Oh dear poor Jamie.
I hope his ear heals and nothing else pops up and he can enjoy life again. 
Hugs

Offline HelenMac

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 09:17:21 am »
Oh Sue so sorry poor Jamies ear is still infected.  So pray and hope the new cream works. Just wondered if Jamie sleeping in his litter box could be a contributing factor as litter is dusty ect.
  • Shadow and Zimba

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody & Katy
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 10:22:07 am »
Oh dear Sue! I'm so sorry Jamie's ear is still infected. I truly hope something can be sorted out for you both soon. xo
  • 2 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 05:23:16 pm »
We are going into month 3 and still haven't found anything that just knocks the infection out.  He's on orbax right now and I think they will want to do a culture soon.  I've been using aquaphor on the skin to keep it moist since it is mostly vaseline and lanolin.  The vet approved it.  I just want my boy to get better.  Now a friend of mine with a ragdoll has a hematoma too.  The difference is that her cat will take your arm off.  Jamie won't do that.  My vet even said he feels bad that this has gone on so long.

Sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody & Katy
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:16:12 pm »
Oh Sue, I'm really sorry to read this. I really feel for you and Jamie. I really pray you can make a breakthrough and sort his problem out. xo
  • 2 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:16:12 pm »

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 07:18:55 pm »
Hopefully we are now going to be using meds that will clear this up.  My vet did a culture finally and it showed Jamie had MRSA.  He's got a triple antibiotic cream and a compounded form of doxycycline.  This should clear the MRSA out of his system and he should end up feeling better.  I have to call my vet on Sunday and let him know where things are.  He's been just wonderful about telling me to call his cell - said if you need me I'll be in NY at a vet conference but call me on my cell phone.  It's nice to know that if there is an issue at night or on a weekend I have a resource.

Cross your fingers that this is the big cure.  After 3 months, I think Jamie has kind of had it with this.  The MRSA is hard on them.  He has been sleeping in a litterbox that I make sure is clean and I just love it when he comes and gets on the ottoman with me at night.  There's also been a few "accidents" in the house and I'm hoping to see the end of that too. 

I am at the point that I don't care what he's got - just get him BETTER!!!
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline HelenMac

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 04:04:35 am »
Poor you and Jamie.  Praying this new treatment works.  What a wonderful vet you have. 
  • Shadow and Zimba

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 07:43:54 pm »
Haven't heard how things went with Jamie. Certainly hope he is finally better, because everyone's heart needs some good news.

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 07:55:28 pm »
Jamie began to look better but the doxycycline gave him diarrhea.  Vet said to stop it.  He has since been scratching the ear and the progress we've made is well, going backwards.  i'm hoping we can put him back on the meds with pumpkin, which he really likes, and the probiotics, which he likes in wet food.  Hopefully that will control the diarrhea and allow him to take the meds without causing that.  He's been camping out upstairs with that ear.  This just goes on and on and on.

sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »
*sigh* Poor baby
I wonder if I am not in for some health issues soon. All of mine need their teeth done. However the work for hubby is so uncertain, that the money I had saved to do it is now in the we need to meet the mortgage envelope. Of course in hindsight Skye cost more money than I expected too.

I will keep Jamie in my prayers. Today I am just sad. This week seems to be sad kitty new week and my heart is just breaking for everyone.   

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »

Tags: