Author Topic: Having a Snow Day???  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Ragsmomma

Having a Snow Day???
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »
We were supposed to have rain starting late last night (southern NJ) and then get about a foot of snow.  Instead we got the bit of rain and maybe a little over an inch of snow.  I had to clean off my steps and the car but the sidewalks and driveway had melted.  We are having the high gusts of wind that go right through your coat that they predicted. 

Since we were going to have a snow day, I postponed Rags fluids and he'll have them tomorrow afternoon.  I made sure I had a supply of dried beans and stuff to make stock out of fresh chicken so I could make a batch of chicken vegetable/noodle soup.  The kitchen smells wonderful and I've used every bit of unsalted broth I had.  That needs to go on the list and I know I have coupons.  My freezer is going to be so glad to see the soup and so will I.  I've never tried making two batches at once but was out of the bean soup and nearly out of the chicken.  I have a little honey ham to dice up for the bean soup.  the worst part is putting it into containers and downstairs to the freezer.

Rags said he did not mind waiting until tomorrow.  In fact, his exact words were "It will be my pleasure, Mom".

Sue 

• Rags, Beau & Jamie

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Re: Having a Snow Day???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »
Love making soups.
I use my crockpot often for making bone broths and soups.

I am sure Rags will enjoy the snow day - sleeping and staying warm.
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »
Your Ad Here

Offline HelenMac

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:00:17 am »
Nothing better than the smell of homemade soup cooking.  Its summer here so  hubby would protest if I dare put a pot of soup on but honestly with summer missing I would eat it now gladly..   Its February and I'm still in long leggings and 3/4 sleeve tops.  In fact this morning had to put my jacket on for my walk it was bitterly cold.   Every day we have this horrible bitterly cold wind.  I think summer has by passed New Zealand this year.  :(
  • Shadow and Zimba

Offline my3girls

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:31 pm »
We're not snowing here thank heavens, but it is still very cold some days & nights. I would love to make a crock pot of soup (vegetable that is I don't eat meat). Would/Could one of you give me a good reciept? I have 2 crock pots, a very large one & a small "retro" orange one. Honestly I really love my 1970's small one the best. ;D
Thanks in advance. ♥
  • Charlotte my big redhead (rescue horse), Noli seal bicolor Ragdoll, Pippa blue mitted Ragdoll

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
Most of my soups either are beef stock based, chicken based or have ham in with dried beans for flavor.  You can substitute vegetable broth for meat broth in any recipe but you'd probably need to find a good recipe made specifically for vegetables.  Our supermarket stocks a package of soup start vegetables (root vegetables) and you can run them through a ricer and add to soup base to enrich it.  If you want to try one of my soups and just put in veggie broth instead of meat, let me know.

sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

The following users thanked this post: my3girls

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Fozzy, Katy & Mittens!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:39 pm »
I too love homemade soup in the winter, there's nothing better in my opinion. :)
We've have a hot summer but thankfully we've had some much needed rain which has cooled it down a bit.

It's one of the few things I do look forward to in winter. :)
  • 3 Raggies, 1 moggie (Ragdoll wannabee) and a mini doxie!

Offline my3girls

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 05:52:20 pm »
Thanks Sue I'd love one of your soup receipts. Perhaps a good chicken one please. I won't actually be the only one eating it & everyone else eats meat.
 ♥
  • Charlotte my big redhead (rescue horse), Noli seal bicolor Ragdoll, Pippa blue mitted Ragdoll

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »
If you don't want the ones with meat, I believe I have a white bean soup recipe made with vegetable broth.  Let me know.

sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

The following users thanked this post: my3girls

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or FIVE!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »
I really love both homemade vegetable and Chicken noodle soups, but since I don't like either the smell or taste if beans, I never make bean soup..or any kind of dried beans either. I like green beans and baked beans, but that's about it for me in the bean world. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE to make chili and let it simmer all day long. Like with the soups, that is even better on day two. None of it ever sees the freezer, because even though I make huge pots full, it all gets eaten. I usually have extra people here to eat every day, so, that's okay.

I have some really great neighbors that live across the street from me. They will come over and plow my driveway when it snows and never even tell me they are doing it. I caught them one time, so that is how I know it's them. They are always ready and willing to help with any "man-type" things that need to be done, since our household is all women...ANYOLDWAY, the lady of the house (Teri) fell down while roller skating over the weekend, broke her leg in two places and had to have surgery. She's home now, has to use a walker for awhile, but it is still having a lot of trouble getting around and is in a great deal of pain. I made a huge pot of chili for them to eat on for a few days, so she wouldn't have to try to cook for a little minute. I know her pain and felt so sorry for her. It was so nice to be able to surprise them with a kindness in return for all that have done for us. :) Great neighbors are such a blessing! :)
  • Truffles (Tortie) 1/2012, Taffy (Tonkinese) 4/2013. Theo (Snowshoe lookin' cross-eyed Moggie) 2/2015. Simon Sez (Border Collie) 10/2005 and Synney Sox (Aussie Shepherd) 9/2015

Offline my3girls

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:15 am »
Sounds like a very nice neighborhood. Very sweet of you & the people across the street. So the saying goes "pay it forward". Part of our neighborhood is the same way. I'm sure that elderly lady just loved the chili.
Your angel wings will be waiting for you in Heaven.  :D

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:15 am »
Your Ad Here

Offline my3girls

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:56 am »
Sounds great Sue would love the receipt & any other good ones you might have for a crockpot.
Thanks ♥

Offline Ragsmomma

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »
I don't really have recipes for a crock pot but this one has no meat in it and you can make it on the stove fairly quickly.  It is:

Greens, Tomato & White Bean Soup

Ingredients:

1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
3 cloves garlic minced (t tablespoon)
2 14 1/2 oz. cans reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup whole-grain orzo or other small shape pasta
1/2 crushed red paper flakes (optional - if you use, put in AFTER you cook)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
15 oz can white kidney beans, rinsed
4 cups chopped spinach or escarole (about 1 bunch)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil.  Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes, orzo, black pepper and water.  Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 6 minutes.

Add the beans and greens, then cook, stirring often, until the greens are tender, about another 5 minutes.  Serve sprinkled with red pepper, if desired, and parmesan cheese.

My other favorite soups are 16 bean soup and chicken/vegetable/noodle soup and both are made in a stock pot.  I really only use the crock pot if I am making a pot roast.

Sue

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:07:58 pm by Ragsmomma »
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie