Author Topic: Hardly Strickly  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Calirags

• Calirags Ragdolls of California
  • About me: Breeder
Hardly Strickly
« on: October 01, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »
I'm so bummed that I'm not able to attend one of the biggest music festivals this year.  It's called the Hardly Strickly Bluegrass Festival.  It is a free event held at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.  I have gone 4 times over the past 6 years.  It is indescribable.  Last time I went there were over 1 million  people in attendance over the weekend.

Fortunately they are live streaming some of the stages at

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2016/webcast/

Check it out if you have some free time this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:26:33 pm by Calirags »

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Re: Hardly Strickly
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
Cyndi Lauper is playing today.  Just sayin'. 

Boz Scaggs (with some local friends of mine) played yesterday.  No, I didn't get to go.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 05:31:59 pm »
The line up looks awesome. I think I will stream it if it will let me. 
Dealing with either sinus or migraine (I haven't decide which yet) so nice music might help

We have a annual country festival on a farm not far from here Big Valley Jambree great headliners every year but never been able to go.  This year we had Country Thunder too, but hubby was working out of town and I wouldn't go by myself.
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Offline Calirags

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 05:42:47 pm »
You have to Check out Dave Rawlings Machine and Jamey Johnson.  Americana music at it's best. 

Here is a little sample of Dave Rawlings: 

And one of Jamey Johnson: 

I want to try to catch Cyndi Lauper.  I hear her new country album is fantastic.  I've only heard a little bit of it.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:26:49 pm by Calirags »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »
Oh my goodness, Cyndi Lauper sings country now?? Where have I been?

Offline Calirags

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:24 pm »
It seems it's trendy now to put out some Good Ole Americana music.  One of the few genres that never gets outdated.

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 04:51:54 am »
Gosh, I wish I had time for Dave Rawlings (although in my mind it's Gillian Welsh that's the draw!) but there was just too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

We went to Cyndi...sort of...it was so crowded and noisy...and all sorts of nonsense (as expected) around the park...some dude cuttin his stash standing on top of where our blanket was with us sitting there ugh.  And naked girls doing cartwheels...lots of beer, and spitting, and really stinky skunky smoky smells, boys peeing in the trees (ref: beer), and hippies with brightly colored parasols, and free meditation books, and dogs everywhere....We couldn't see her, couldn't get close enough, and could barely hear her, until "Girls just wanna have fun" at which point the crowd basically stopped what they were doing to sing along.  What a blast...even young girls knew all the words.  One of the few female singers at her age that still has her voice.  She sounded great on the country songs, some of which we recognized, some we didn't.

Then Jackson Browne, we got a better listening advantage (my friends finally listened to my advice that being higher up is better for acoustics) and he was great but very mellow, sang a few songs with Shawn Colvin, including an Eagles tune that "he learned by listening to it on the radio" for some reason I thought that was really funny but in retrospect I'm thinking it might have been all the secondhand smoking I was doing lol.

Apparently Friday is the best day to go, the crowds are smaller so you actually get to see and hear the show.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Khyeranggi

• Hi, I'm new here!
  • About me: Prospective owner
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »
How exciting! I was fortunate enough to attend the Coconut Festival on Rota Island last week. I missed the food night, but was there for the Coconut Fashion Show! Only dress allowed had to be made entirely from a Coconut tree. The winner was awarded six hundred US dollars and went to a mom who weaved a coconut bra and skirt from coconut hair for her daughter and a boys suit made of bark that looked like Armani, except, well...coconutty!
If you are not aware, you can make anything from kitchen gadgets to satalitte dishes if you have access to a coconut tree.
  • Claude and Bones

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
OMG what a hoot.  Wonder if I can change my palm tree to a coconut tree?  It would be fun to try to make clothes lol
I think it's fixed now

Offline Khyeranggi

• Hi, I'm new here!
  • About me: Prospective owner
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »
LOL! You can make lots of stuff with palms. We forgot the BBQ tongs one time and, well, there was a palm tree.
Our local radio station does not do much bluegrass, but I am a huge fan! Lots of old timey country music and reggae is popular here.
  • Claude and Bones

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »

Tags: