Author Topic: Watermelon???  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Mum of FLUFF

Watermelon???
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:10:13 pm »
It's been really hot here so I sliced some watermelon for myself and was astounded that FLUFF seemed really interested in it. I finished eating the melon and there was a lot of juice on the plate. So I googled: Is watermelon is safe for cats? and apparently it is. So I let him lap the juice from the plate.

He really loved drinking it and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with cats drinking watermelon juice? I gave him a tiny bit of the melon to chew but he's not as interested in eating it as he is in drinking it.
  • FLUFFY (male lilac point ragdoll)

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Re: Watermelon???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 06:44:50 am »
I've had cats obsessed with bok choy and edamame, so I am not surprised there is a watermelon freak out there.  I will have to try it and see if they like it some time.  lol  Cats never fail to surprise.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

The following users thanked this post: Mum of FLUFF

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 06:44:50 am »

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:09 pm »
Thanks for that!!! I was absolutely gobsmacked by how much he liked it.

I thought that it might be helpful to someone else who wanted to entice their cat to drink but I'm hesitant to recommend that in case it doesn't agree with another cat. This article seems to offer some basic, commonsense advice.

https://pawsometalk.com/can-cat-eat-watermelon/

Funnily enough I'm getting some seedless watermelon delivered tomorrow and we're having a heatwave. So I will let him have some of the juice, but probably only about 2-3 teaspoons of it. I'ts going to be an occasional small treat for him not a regular part of his diet.

Offline HelenMac

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:52:27 pm »
I havn't tried watermelon with the boys  but I had a bengal cat who loved sweet corn.  I would be eating one side of the cob he would be standing on my chair paw on my shoulder eating the corn on the other side of the cob.  Could never eat corn in peace lol.
  • Shadow and Zimba

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »
Helen, that is a really funny image.  My Savannah, well, all my cats try to eat out of my mouth too (Duma is just more determined than anyone else), but they have yet to recreate Lady & the Tramp with me.
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
The watermelon (and the heatwave!) arrived yesterday. He loves it!!! Go figure...  ;D

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy and Wesley
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 10:12:14 pm »
Bailey our dog loves watermelon and I can remember as a kitten Cody loved papaya. He was steal it out of the bowl on the table. Lol!
  • 3 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:37:36 pm »
Thank-you so much for all your replies!!! ;D

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or SIX!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 07:58:23 pm »
This thread has made me smile. I'm so glad to know that I am not alone in the food sharing that goes on daily with all of my cats. They believe that everything is theirs and always surprise me at the things they enjoy eating. Taffy is a very big fan of pasta and is always stealing noodles off of my plate. Tut is a freak for ice cream sandwiches and will not leave me alone until I share a little. He is quite forceful about it, too. Truffles' favorite people food is Whipped Cream. All three are very ready to sample a variety of different foods at dinner time and it always cracks me up. Helen's hilarious corn eating tale reminds me of Tut and I with an ice cream sandwich, with me on one end and he on the other.  LOL I will also offer some watermelon when it comes back into season, to see what my bunch thinks about it. :)
  • Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »
raw chicken is what make Freya crazy. The rest aren't really interested in human food. Now that dog very different story
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 02:13:27 am »
raw chicken is what make Freya crazy.
OMG, mine love raw chicken wing tips!  They go nuts.  Necks, livers too, but the wing tips seem to be a favorite.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or SIX!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:18 am »
I can't imagine a cat that isn't interested in people food. ALL off mine like to try (and mostly like)  everything they see. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:35:44 pm by Linda »
  • Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 04:34:26 am »
Fluff demands to inspect everything I eat. Usually I dab the tip of my forefinger on whatever it is and offer it up to his nose to sniff. Even if he doesn't want to actually eat it, he goes crazy sniffing it and his nostrils and eyes dilate wildly.

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy and Wesley
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:54:15 pm »
Mittens is the worst beggar in our house, the dog has NOTHING on her. She'll come and try take food off my plate and I dare not leave ANY food uncovered in the kitchen. Over New Year my mom had made gammon and the little stinker lifted the net and helped herself. LOL!
  • 3 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Offline Mum of FLUFF

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 02:58:23 am »
I've taught my mum to shield her food when she's at my house...

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 02:58:23 am »

Tags: