Author Topic: Fix it ONCE and Fix it Twice and Fix it ONCE AGAIN!!  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or SIX!
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
Fix it ONCE and Fix it Twice and Fix it ONCE AGAIN!!
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »
Last November, my crazy in the head dog (Synney Sox) decided that she wanted a doggy door, so that she could let herself in and out whenever she wanted.

So, being the incredibly intelligent and resourceful doggie that she is, she created her own doggy door, by jumping right through the screen (of the door that a friend and I painstakingly built FROM SCRATCH earlier that spring).

I had previously incorporated a screen protector to the bottom half of the full screen door, so Synney simply jumped over the top of that and broke through the upper part of the (unprotected) screen.

I was beyond annoyed at her, even though I silently appreciated her ingenuity.
Since it was pretty much the end of the warm season at that time, I decided to wait to repair it, until the weather was nice enough again to want to use the screen door..

That time had now arrived. It's been so lovely and warm outside, that I wanted to enjoy the cool breeze and be able to leave the interior door open, again. So, Elaine and I set about repairing it, yesterday.

Before we replaced the torn up screen and added yet another screen protector to the top portion of the door, Synney would continue to let herself herself in and out, at will. JUST BECAUSE SHE COULD, I THINK!

Ok, since it was already damaged to the point of no return, that action really didn't seem to matter, so I did have the door open for a little while, as the weather permitted and there were no bugs flying around yet (before the repair).
BTW that crazy dog can leap like a freaking deer!

The ISSUE WITH THAT VERY BAD PLAN, was that my also very intelligent and resourceful cat (TUT) decided, since there was a large gaping hole at the top of the door, that he could simply climb up the screen to get to the hole and then jump out!
REALLY??? I MEAN REALLY?? I cannot catch a break with animal containment. My cats are NOT ALLOWED OUTSIDE! So the door had to be repaired, if I wanted to keep the animules inside, while getting myself some fresh cool air!

Here are the before and after results. I even drilled holes all the way through the door frame, so that the screen protectors could be attached with nuts and bolts, instead of the wimpy screws that they came with. This time I was thinking AHEAD of my destructive doggie's potential! Hopefully, I won't have to do anymore screen repairs, for a very long time!!

Before!

2016-11-11 18.19.23 by Linda Halvorsen, on Flickr

After!

DSCN7051 - Copy by Linda Halvorsen, on Flickr
  • Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Ragsmomma

Re: Fix it ONCE and Fix it Twice and Fix it ONCE AGAIN!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »
Don'tcha just love having to think like the pets to get ahead of them.  You can at least put on your resume that you have completed Dog and Cat brain 101 and see what that does.

Since I use the a/c mostly, I have a full length glass door on the front door and half in the kitchen.  I never take them out and don't have to worry about escape artists.  I think they make a heavier duty screening for pets.  If this doesn't work, I'd visit the hardware store and look at something small than chicken wire and that could be fastened on the door.  Good luck.  The door sure looks nice too.

Sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:00:24 am »
Haha, you are really good at home repair.  Wanna come for a visit?  lol

My 6 pound feral likes to be in the closet.  I have a no cats in the closet policy.  My closet has these giant, heavy doors on it...I mean, they're even heavy for me.  But she manages to open it every day, multiple times a day.  Even Desi and my savannah don't do what she does, Desi being 3+ times her weight, and Duma being twice her weight.  Not that they aren't clever in their own ways.  But man, she is determined.  (dare I mention that she managed to get the toilet paper out of the rather expensive kitty-proof toilet paper holder...)
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline my3girls

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:44:48 am »
 Linda I just bet you'd be very good at building your fur babies a "catio". It might take you awhile, but like previously said you are very good with home improvements. The door does look very GOOD. :D
  • Charlotte my big redhead (rescue horse), Noli seal bicolor Ragdoll, Pippa blue mitted Ragdoll

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or SIX!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »
Thanks Sue, the screen protectors will do the job nicely for the outside. I may still need to add a little something to keep everyone's claws off the screen on the inside, too (just to be on the safe side). Those screen protectors are $40 a piece and I've already incorporated two of them on the outside...ugh! 
I don't allow my kitties outside either, but since Tut was an outside stray for the first year or so of his life, he wouldn't mind having an adventure or two. He has been so good about not trying to get out for the entire year that I have had him now, but in the past few days he has sneaked out the front door (through people's feet) when they were coming in or going out. He doesn't run out, but he sure has shown up out of nowhere and walked out. He even got out with me last night when I was taking out a bag of trash..AND I LOOKED FOR HIM BEFORE I OPENED THE DOOR! Then, all of a sudden, there he was and out he went, before I could stop him. He never runs away, when he does this, so I get him right back in immediately...but this is worrying me terribly. I liked it A LOT better when he never used to think about going out the door. I know he misses his adventures, he has to..but surely being warm, safe, dry and always fed has to "trump" running the streets. I hope he stops this behavior soon.

Dawn, I had to laugh as I could picture those big heavy doors and your brilliant baby getting them open. Have you  tried adding a magnet to the inside of the doors and the fame? That might be just enough resistance to keep the doors from opening. I totally cracked up about the toilet! And thanks! I'm very proud of my built from scratch door and LOVE being able to have it open before the a/c becomes a constant. So do the kitties! :)

Ondrea thank you too and I would LOVE a catio! That would be awesome, but I rent this house, so even if I had the funds to do a really cool thing like that, I wouldn't be able to. :(
  • Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:05 pm »
I swear my cats are telepathic.

This morning I woke up to a toilet paper roll at the top of the stairs.  Not once did I think they threw it down from the upstairs bathroom...clearly, little 6-lb Dylan got it from the cat-proof toilet paper holder downstairs and was bringing it up to me.  Of course she thought I needed it, just 'cause I wrote it.

I think I'd have to devise an adult-proof latch if I really wanted to keep her out.  I think I've decided that she's allowed to violate the no cats in the closet rule.  (Desi and Duma, if you are listening, you are NOT allowed to be in the closet.)
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy and Wesley
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
I think Synney was hugely disappointed that the amazing doggie door she so ingeniously made wasn't appreciated by her mom! LOL
I love the repair job you did Linda, the 'new' door looks absolutely great! :D
  • 3 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »

Tags: