Author Topic: In OTHER News!!  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
  • A house is not a home without a furbaby...or SIX!
  • About me: Owned by a Ragdoll
In OTHER News!!
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
Since it has been rather slow around here, I'll take a little moment to talk to myself, while I report the recent "going ons" at my house.

I was sorely disappointed the other day, when I accidentally damaged my main cat tower.

While I was cleaning and vacuuming it, being unable to reach the uppermost post with the highest bed on it, I tipped the entire tower over to lean it up against my own bed (so that I could easily reach the tallest parts) and vacuumed away happily. When I was finished, I lifted it back into to place and noticed that one of the three upper posts (that have beds on top of them) had become loose and a little wobbly. I suddenly realized that, as I was vacuuming it (while it was leaning against my bed) I was also placing undo stress on that post and messed up it's inner works a bit. I AM AN IDIOT!!  I tried to tighten it back down, but to no avail. It will now be forever wobbly and this is where my babies love to sleep A LOT! :(

Here is a pic where you can fairly easily see that the post on the left (the one that Taffy is laying on) is leaning a little. :(

2016-10-09 12.54.42 by Linda Halvorsen, on Flickr

I took a good long look at it and decided that I could easily change out the wobbly post with another one, that has support on both the top and bottom. That would probably stop the wobble (I figured) or at least put it in a place that didn't have kitties laying on it with no support at both ends.
I decided to try this the next time that I cleaned it. I was too tired and annoyed (at that time) to go about disassembling it.

This is the tower, so you can see what I was talking about in trading the post out for one of the lower ones with top and bottom support. I wanted to trade it for one of the ones on the shelf with the ladder. :)
DSCN6732 by Linda Halvorsen, on Flickr

A few days later, I decide to take it apart before I started the "vacuum" process.

Once I got it all apart, I THEN realized that the posts at the top are made differently than the other ones, in that they have a screw thingy attached to the top of them to screw the beds into. UGH!
It had been almost exactly one year since I had originally put it all together and I forgotten that the top posts were different...SO THAT BRILLIANT IDEA WENT TO THE CURB! GRRRRRRR!!!

I went ahead and vacuumed it all while it was apart and then proceeded to re-build it all, back to it's original wobbly state. :(

When I got to the previously "wobbly" post, I discovered that it would now NOT screw in AT ALL! 
For some reason it had gotten even more damaged, rendering it completely USELESS! 
Wonderful JUST WONDERFUL!! 

I sat down and almost cried, but instead I had yet another "brain storm"

I thought that maybe I could make the screw thingy a little "fatter" by wrapping it with some teflon tape! 
So off to my tool box I went, to get myself some.

I got the tape and wrapped it around the screw thingy several times and then tried to reattach the post!

GREAT SADNESS set in as it STILL would NOT tighten, even slightly..UGH! UGH!! UGH!!!

I thought some more and then tried to investigate what was going in INSIDE of that post....but I couldn't take any of that apart without totally destroying the post. <HEAVY HEAVY SIGH>>

OK, I will try once again to "fatten" up that screw thing, but this time I'll use some good old duct tape...duct tape fixes EVERYTHING after all, right??

Yeah, well the duct tape revelation was equally as inadequate as the teflon tape one was. I was defeated! I could not think of anything else to do, so I had to leave the post with the treasured bed attached to it off of the tower completely!
BOOHOO and HOO!  :'(

Next, I headed to my trusty laptop to search for a site that sold replacement posts. I found several such sites, but NONE of them sold posts that were wrapped in dark brown sisal rope, like mine are. They were also quite "pricey", especially once the shipping was included, for something that wouldn't even match my tower!!....MORE ANGST ENSUED!

Then, another "brain storm"!!
Look up and contact the manufacturer, you screwball! Why did you NOT THINK of that in the first place??
Because I am idiot, I responded to myself! lol

OH HAPPY DAY!  I was elated when I received an almost immediate reply from the wonderful Kitty Mansion Company, telling me that not only did they sell the EXACT REPLACEMENT, but that it was also ONLY $10!!   
WOOHOO and HOO!  :) :) :) <Still doin the Happy Dance>

Soon, I will have a COMPLETE cat tower once again and big smiles on the faces of THREE ADORABLE KITTIES!  ;D ;D ;D....

ALSO...

The day before yesterday was an absolutely GORGEOUS DAY here!  Bright sunshine and 70 degrees!!  Definitely MY KIND OF WINTER!

Even though it was so sunny and so warm, it suddenly started snowing at my house! My backyard had turned WHITE in little to no time!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

LOL! Actually, I decided that since it was so gorgeous out and because Truffles was shedding something fierce, I would take her out onto the back deck and place her on the table for a really good grooming session.
White fur began flying in all directions and as it landed on the ground (everywhere) it looked like it had snowed!  BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Londyn was also out there with me and she too was covered in fur. We both were!  She thought it was funny. Londyn is SILLY!

I think that Truffles must have lost half of her body weight. She looks and feels so much better now and the inside of my house no longer has fur balls gathering in every corner, nook and cranny!  She is my major shedder!

In still other news!

The potty training process has come to a very successful end!!  My little darling Londyn was completely trained in less than two weeks. She now either asks to be taken or just goes on her own. I prefer that she ask, because when she goes on her own she also feels the need to remove her little "bowl" to then dump it out into the "big bowl"!!  I would seriously rather do that part myself! (a lot less clean-up that way) LOL!!
But, in the end, I am so proud of her! She really caught on fast and likes the fact that she can now wear pretty big girl panties all of the time. She even wakes up dry from naps and overnight sleeps. (I do still add a diaper or a pull up at those times, just to make sure the bed stays clean and dry, but it won't be long before I can trust her results enough to stop the extra protection, too.)

ALSO....

I applied and was hired for a position at my local grocery store. OH HAPPY DAY!   8)  8)  8)

This is to be my maiden voyage back into the "work world", since the surgery that left me disabled and unable to do my job, 3 and half years ago. I've learned to deal with the handicap and have also lost almost 100 pounds since July (of the 160 pounds that I gained post surgery, while I was bed ridden for months). That has made me so much more "able" to do things and has given me back a great deal of my stamina, even though I still have 60 (or so..will be thrilled with 50) more pounds to lose.
I am still starting out slow with working. Part time and in an entry level position, but if all goes well for me physically and I find that I CAN handle a full load again, I will be running the place in no time. My employment history has been majorly comprised of business management...SO LOOK OUT WORLD HERE I COME!!

It is going to be unbelievably wonderful to be self supportive and self reliant once again! I've been way too long living in limbo!!

That's about it for this weeks edition of "LIFE IN LOONEYVILLE" by Linda Halvorsen!! :)

• Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Ragsmomma

Re: In OTHER News!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
Wow, have you accomplished a lot.  Potty training is something I've never done but I imagine it is not an easy accomplishment.  Congrats to you and Londyn.  That's a big achievement.

I don't take anybody out to comb but I do comb.  I had a problem where Rags mats just got ahead of me and my vet tech came and we spent several times trying to comb them out.  The last time we tried using the clippers on low and that did it.  The big guy laid there with his head on my leg and was so relaxed that his head almost slid off my leg. 

Congrats on your job.  I had no clue when I applied for Social Security for January that I wouldn't get a check until near the end of February.  A part time job would be most helpful.  Got no clue where to look. 

I'm glad you got it figured out how to fix the cat perch.  I've turned into Ms. Fix It around here and can usually eye something and figure out how to fix it. 
That's a major achievement and I'm sure the cats will be thrilled.

Sue
  • Rags, Beau & Jamie

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »

Offline Codysmom

• Global Moderator
  • Mum to Cody, Katy and Wesley
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
Oh dear Linda! Sorry, but I had to smile through a lot of that. I could just see it all happening in front of my eyes, lol. I could even imagine the kitties watching you and thinking "What's she up to this time?" :D

You've done an amazing job with Londyn and I'm sure she's happy to have you as a playmate, although I'm sure she'll miss you when you start working again. Having said that, I am absolutely THRILLED for you that you've managed to get this job. I'm sure you're going to be a boon there! xo
  • 3 Raggies and a mini doxie!

Offline Desi

• Global Moderator
  • tired lol
    • RagdollCatsUnited.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:52 am »
I only got halfway through that (I'll read more later) when I was thinking they have to sell replacement parts, and if not, that would be a great business lol 'cause I have a broken tower here myself, but I've been too busy/lazy to try to find new posts.

Good on you for finding them!
  • Desmond the Ragdoll, Duma the Savannah, and Baby Bobbie Dylan child of the mean streets, poetess and occasional musician.
I think it's fixed now

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:07:35 pm »
Wow
I too would like cheaper replacement pieces.  My towers need to to re-sissle
and the one, okay two beds need to be replaced as well.  Well loved tree.
Congrats on the job. 
As for potty training awesome. Wendell is still a work in progress. He is doing very well, except he has some food issues with a bit a the is that fart or .... you get the idea.  Sheena found that a nice potty top on the regualar toilet stopped the wanting to empty issue and one less thing to clean
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:02:24 am »
Wow, have you accomplished a lot.  Potty training is something I've never done but I imagine it is not an easy accomplishment.  Congrats to you and Londyn.  That's a big achievement.

I don't take anybody out to comb but I do comb.  I had a problem where Rags mats just got ahead of me and my vet tech came and we spent several times trying to comb them out.  The last time we tried using the clippers on low and that did it.  The big guy laid there with his head on my leg and was so relaxed that his head almost slid off my leg. 

Congrats on your job.  I had no clue when I applied for Social Security for January that I wouldn't get a check until near the end of February.  A part time job would be most helpful.  Got no clue where to look. 

I'm glad you got it figured out how to fix the cat perch.  I've turned into Ms. Fix It around here and can usually eye something and figure out how to fix it. 
That's a major achievement and I'm sure the cats will be thrilled.

Sue

Sue, the ONLY time that mine every get to go outside is for a good brushing and even then, it's only when the shedding is at it's worst. I take them one at a time and they never get to get off of the table I would be scared to death that they might bolt and I would be devastated. It's kind of nice for them though, as they get to smell and hear a lot of things so much better than through the occasionally opened window. Seems like we always switch so quickly from the heat to the a/c with not much "window time" in between.
I've always been the "fix it" person around here. Whatever I don't know how to do, I look up on google. It hasn't let me down yet! :)
Waiting for those government checks to get started can take awhile. I feel your pain there. I had to wait 6 months before I got my first disability check and thought I was going to starve in the mean time. I was so grateful for it once it finally got rolling though. Now, I'm hoping that I can get myself rehabilitated enough to finally be able to get off of it and support myself again. I suppose I will have to work until the day I drop dead, because once I switch over to SS (that will happen at 65 and I'm 62 now) it will still the same amount and I simply cannot survive on my own on that..SO HI HO HI HO It's Off to Work I GO!! :)

Potty training a baby is a lot like potty training a puppy. It requires constant monitoring, consistency, reinforcement for success and repeated trips to the potty (instead of outside) to stay ahead of the URGE..lol 
  • Lady Truffles of Sugarland (TRUFFLES) 1/1/2012, Lady Taffanella of Garland (AKA TAFFY) 4/1/2013. King Tutankhamun (AKA TUT) 2/1/2015. Sir Simon Sez (AKA SIMON) 10/1/2005, Princess SashaLoo (AKA SASHA) 4/5/2019, Sir Zeus (AKA ZEUS) 10/12/2017

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:49 am »
Oh dear Linda! Sorry, but I had to smile through a lot of that. I could just see it all happening in front of my eyes, lol. I could even imagine the kitties watching you and thinking "What's she up to this time?" :D

You've done an amazing job with Londyn and I'm sure she's happy to have you as a playmate, although I'm sure she'll miss you when you start working again. Having said that, I am absolutely THRILLED for you that you've managed to get this job. I'm sure you're going to be a boon there! xo

Colleen, I am so glad that you got a few chuckles. I try to make the 'hum drums" of life as comical as I can for myself as well as everyone else!  :)
Thank you for your very kind words! Londyn is truly the highlight in my life and I am going to miss her terribly while I work. We will make it all work as best as we can, but I do hope that day care is not in her future..I still haven't gotten the call that the checks are all back and to give me my schedule, but I am so hoping that it will work out so that she can still stay home, if the hours all work out. I do not want her being raised by strangers. :( :( :(

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:12:47 am »
I only got halfway through that (I'll read more later) when I was thinking they have to sell replacement parts, and if not, that would be a great business lol 'cause I have a broken tower here myself, but I've been too busy/lazy to try to find new posts.

Good on you for finding them!

LMAO!!   I do run on a lot. don't I??

Try you manufacturer for replacement parts before going to somewhere like Drs Foster and Smith. They are kind of high there and you may also do much better going straight to the maker! Good luck! 

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:43 am »
Wow
I too would like cheaper replacement pieces.  My towers need to to re-sissle
and the one, okay two beds need to be replaced as well.  Well loved tree.
Congrats on the job. 
As for potty training awesome. Wendell is still a work in progress. He is doing very well, except he has some food issues with a bit a the is that fart or .... you get the idea.  Sheena found that a nice potty top on the regualar toilet stopped the wanting to empty issue and one less thing to clean

Rebecca, they do sell a pretty good sized roll of Sisal Rope at Amazon. I saw that the other day when I was looking for posts. If you want to try to do that yourself, maybe that would work for you. I don't remember what the cost was, though. I would suggest to you to also try to go straight to your manufacturer for replacements beds, as well. I was amazed how much cheaper it was for me going through mine. :)

The little "seat" on Londyn's potty chair is removable and snaps nicely (and securely) onto the top of the big toilet, but Londyn is still to small to get herself up there easily. If she asked to be taken every time, this would not be an issue, but since she has decided that she is such a big girl, she goes on her own more than she asks... Then I hear...KOOKOO (that's what she calls me) being yelled out, when she is ready for a wiping and to tell me that she went potty. :)

Thanks for the job congrats!   ;D

LMAO @ Wendell and the "fart" confusion!  That is an issue for them all at first, I think!  :)

Offline Rebecca

• Global Moderator
  • Every day is a new start
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »
Ah with the being to short for the big potty.  They actually have stool the works great, so he can go on his own.  She for some reason doesn't want him to stand to pee yet (something about aim lol) I found that was the easier way to train boys, but her kids and house not mine.
  • Freyr, Freya, Rune, MonAmi, and Blaise

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »

Offline Linda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:08 pm »
A stool could be a good idea. We'll have to look into that. I had to laugh at the "aiming" issues with little boys. I always wondered why we (the women who typically do ALL of the bathroom clean ups) ever taught boys to pee standing up in the first place. Look how much of a mess we could have saved ourselves just from our husbands...let alone our children, if we just taught them to SIT DOWN like we do!!! LMAO! 

Ragdoll Cats United!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:08 pm »

Tags: